Look! Bandwagon jumping! From dictionary.com
1. 1. A personal record of occurrences, experiences, and reflections kept on a regular basis; a diary.
2. An official record of daily proceedings, as of a legislative body.
3. Nautical. A ship's log.
1. A daybook.
2. A book of original entry in a double-entry system, listing all transactions and indicating the accounts to which they belong.
3. A newspaper.
4. A periodical presenting articles on a particular subject: a medical journal.
5. The part of a machine shaft or axle supported by a bearing.
So now we know what my journal is. A part of a machine shaft or axle supported by a bearing.
Seriously though, I've always seen mine more as the second definition, an official record of daily proceedings. And since it's official, I leave it open and public for all to see, comment on, and smack me around over. Private is optional for any journal, here at LJ and reality.
That aside, I do tend to use LJ for what it's for. A record of my assorted thoughts, be they for myself, for others, or for a few. Sometimes it's handy to post something here to reach as many of my compatriots. It sticks around longer than a topic in the 'Cafe. My assorted thoughts for myself do tend to be a bit more confusing to anyone else reading, and I like that.
I haven't done much of that lately, should confuse people.