When you put popcorn in the microwave, walk away, read the newspaper, and the house fills with smoke because the popcorn is burning into a charred brick, do you A) do the reasonable thing and realise you walked away from something the instructions explicity tell you to pay attention to and stop when the kernels stop popping, or B) blame the popcorn, and the microwave, and everything else, because clearly the brand new microwave must be broken, and the popcorn must be old, and the butter crawled out of the bag magically setting things on fire?
Guess which option my mother takes EVERY time she puts popcorn in the microwave?
I explain the sane option to my mother, she looks at the charred bag (snerk), "See!! If I'd followed these instructions, I would have put it in for FOUR minutes and really burn it!! See??? The popcorn is bad!! Has to be!"
"Stop the microwave when the popcorn kernels popping slows to one or two seconds..."
"Yes, so it's the popcorn's fault you didn't follow the instructions."